Zuhal Aydin takes a look at some popular resources you can use in your classroom to make it more interactive for your students
In recent years ELT researchers have become increasingly interested in designing digital classrooms and an inter-connected web-centric world. There has been a spate of interest in cutting-edge technology. To ‘digitize’ a classroom means to implement technology into the classroom. The teaching techniques have to catch up to the new pace of learning.
There is a huge need to involve learners in communicative activities. Web technology is changing rapidly every day and the Internet has become an important part of life for people all over the world. The powers of technology are constantly improving. The implementation of technology integrated method language learning has brought some serious changes that can be benefited from. In this interactive environment we try to involve the students into the classroom and we incorporate blended learning. This is a combination of interactive digital learning. You can enhance reading, writing skills in an authentic real world context and provide opportunity for creativity. Learners can communicate easily and collaborate with other students. Unlike a teacher-led classroom, students can participate in an active way.
Teachers can use technology to enable students to meet people of different cultures, explore new worlds, do source research. In this case these materials appeals to students and motivate them. It opens up a new world for the students. It creates flexible learning paths in learners’ minds. Teachers as facilitators try to involve learners in the class by using Web 2.0 tools.
Here are some great tools which you can use to digitize your classroom:
- FutureMe – This is a website about writing letters to your future self. The student registers and writes something about their life so that they’ll practice writing in English.
- Penzu – Penzu is a simple online tool for creating a personal journal.
- Storybird – This is about digital story telling. You as teachers can create digital stories and you can read these stories in your class. You can also create one account for your class as well. The students will enjoy it!
- Animoto – Here you can create videos to share in your classroom. You can upload some photos for these videos and any kind of music to accompany it.
- Staged Project – A digital tool for creating animated comics. You can make your stories easier to read and understand.
- Voice Thread – Digital storytelling program that enables users to upload pictures or documents.
- Domo Animate – Animations to bring students more fun in their learning.
- Little Bird Tales – Capture your student’s voice with a creative story and share them with their family and friends.
- Vocaroo – Voice recording service.
- Soundcloud – Share your sounds!
How do you digitize your classroom? What resources do you use?